About the Client:
A subsidiary of one of Japan's largest automotive manufacturers, our customer is the largest manufacturer in India of 2-Wheeler vehicles. The client is known for the consistently reliable performance of their high-powered motorcycles
that run well for years to come. As a result, their innovative and technologically advanced vehicles inspire other manufacturers to incorporate our client’s design and technology into their own high-performance motorcycles.
The following challenges faced the company in managing physical files prior to digital transformation:
- Each inspection card was manually punched in the Document Management System (DMS).
- After scanning the vehicle check sheet cards, they were stored in physical files and on a network drive
- Managing 2000 cards a day was becoming more difficult because of the manual effort required
- A comparison of the DMS and gate entry system records revealed inaccurate information.
- Data is manually entered into DMS from check sheet cards
- Delayed notification regarding quality check based on data in feeds
- The DMS system was experiencing poor performance due to heavy data loads
The Objectives – Digital Transformation Process:
Challenges influenced the primary goal for the digital transformation of the client:
- Transform vehicle check sheet cards into a digital format at regular intervals
- Allow OCR to extract card information and store it in the system together with the check sheet cards
- Integrate the DMS system with the gate entry system to compare data in one go
- The management team receives auto-email notifications with a comparison of both systems' data
- Configure yearly based databases to save data during runtime automatically
- Integrate all yearly databases in DMS and visualize data in one application for improved decision making and performance
- Permission-based access control in the portal
SNAK – From Evolution to Implementation:
SNAK Team followed the below steps for digital transformation:
- After the cards are scanned, place them all in one shared folder repository
- Once the buyer has decided on a price, he selects the quote and generates a purchase order for the seller.
- Create an OCR job that reads the files and extracts data from PDF format-based cards, stores the data with version control, and attaches the card or records to the system.
- Store this data in the yearly based database
- Develop a DMS that will organize and display the cards year-by-year
- Data can be searched based on the model, VIN, dates, among other categories.
- Integrate gate entry system and DMS to present data comparisons in a portal report
- Respective teams can access the report summary via email notification
- Configure database information in the portal and have the system generate a new database at runtime as soon as database access is enabled in the portal
- Setting admin, semi-admin, and end-user roles and permissions are now possible
- Migration of 2 million legacy records from the old system to the new system without any data loss.
- Java, Spring Boot, Microservices
- Batch job on Spring boot
- MS SQL Server
- HTML5 with responsive designs
- OCR Google Tesseract library
After implementing the solution by SNAK Team, these were the advantages gained by the client:
- Automate the card data extraction process
- A central document storage system for all vehicle check sheet cards
- Excellent system performance improvement thanks to multiple databases used to store data for improved user experience
- Online reports to show data to management in a variety of formats
- Being aware of crucial data information points in real-time
- More than 90% manual effort reduction
- IT admins now spend less time manually managing databases
- Provided an excellent UI experience in record searching and application performance
- Reduced dependency on hefty licensed software costs to manage these documents in the system